View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Let me insist that this is not a thread to discuss how well Nokia understands or developes open source. Please open a new thread if you want to discuss that. This thread is to discuss why Nokia keeps using regular 'closed' strategies for planning and marketing device products also for the Maemo platform.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
not likely, the guys in suits running the show is probably trying to wrap their head around open source software. trying to be more open about hardware probably have them scared silly...
I'll tell you the same I tell to myself: this is easy to say when it's not your money and you are not accountable of the losses if the strategy doesn't work.

How many Nokia shareholders are in this thread? How many are managing investments of many zeros in your jobs? A device program is a complex and expensive game, and marketing a device produced might be even more tricky - specially nowadays. If none of the big companies have tried and the smaller that try go the way they go... would *you* really be the the first top manager taking the decision. It would be interesting to see the posters of this very same thread in that situation.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: