Thread: Sync over WiFi
View Single Post
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Link to brainstorm:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ync_over_wifi/

Hi,
I'm suggesting a method of using usbip to allow syncing the N900 with a PC using the Nokia PC Suite over a WiFi or 3G link.
Here are the details (copy-pasted from the brainstorm):

One of the most useful features of the N900 (at least for me) is the ability to sync the phone with a PC using the Nokia PC Suite. Unfortunately the PC Suite supports synching only over a USB cable or Bluetooth (actually, the latter doesn't even work for me...), requiring the phone to be next to the PC for the sync to work. This is a shame, as the N900 can be connected to the same WiFi network as the PC, so they can communicate over the network, and also, theoretically you might even want to sync your phone with a remote PC over the Internet.

Reverse-engineering the PC Suite and adding network support is highly impractical. Instead, I suggest a different approach. We already have a package called "usbip", allowing to share USB devices the network. It is currently used to allow the N900 to use USB devices connected to a remote PC. I suggest using it the other way around - Installing the server on the phone and the client on the PC, so the PC will have a virtual USB port with the N900 connected, allowing them to synchronize.

The PC side of the usbip package can be left as is - No changes are needed at all. We will need to modify the server (the phone side) as usbip was planned to run on a USB host in order to share a connected device, rather than running on the device itself. Still, I think this won't be impossible to accomplish and will benefit the community.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts and ideas.