View Single Post
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
As I told in his web:
"All that programs must be connected to internet in push mode to work. ALL. Maybe you can close the window, but the program is running in background connected to internet."

And Tgalal said in the same web:
"If you close wazapp it will run in background (even if not appearing in window list). So you will be notified if you receive new messages as long as your phone is connected to Internet."

Obviously if you disconnect from internet of close even the background process (maybe killing it), you won't receive anything until you open it again.

Patlak, a FAQ in the first post could be a great idea .
I'm afraid the term push notifications and their definition were because of iOS.

iOS offers a push notification service that shows notifications ONLY when the app is not running (if it's running, a delegate handles the notification and it isn't shown).

This works through Apple's servers alongside the servers of the developer.
The developer has to have servers, which receive the messages, produce a notification, send it to Apple's servers, which then sends it to the iOS device (Server -> APN (Apple Push Notification) -> device).
I think Nokia tried to do the same with Ovi Notifications (google it, there's an API for MeeGo/Harmattan I think), but I'm not sure if it's as reliable as Apple's, or if it works in the same way.

Wazapp does it the android way, the UI is always running and produces local (on-device) notifications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post: