View Single Post
Originally Posted by rm250j View Post
Hi,
Can you expand on why you think the hardware is woeful? I've never seen one in real life but it doesn't look bad in the pics. Rubbish camera? Cheap feeling/looking? Low end hardware cpu etc shouldn't be a problem if it's a lightweight OS and probably helps with the battery life as it's said to be good,

Cheers,

J
Camera is pretty much useless in any situation that's not brightly lit. Has bad colour casts and ultra-low resolved detailed. Contrast is appalling. Focus is also ... awful. Video's a bit like one of those early 00's ultra-cheap logitech webcams.

Screen pretty much unusable outdoors as it has very low contrast and brightness. Also has bad colour casts and obviously the low resolution.

Call quality is poor to mediocre at best, regardless of what those above will tell you. Sounds bad next to my old Nokia E series phones, N9, Sony Z3C and Nexus 5.

Battery fit tends to be poor, even in the (current) year old batch rather than earlier ones. It's advisable to use a bit of paper to jam it in, even if you have a 'good' unit.

Reception is poor (wifi and mobile). Though this may be partly Conman's fault (networking stack which is not good).

Fit between TOH (back cover) and phone provides very poor environmental seal. If you live or work in humid or dusty environments, it ain't good.

Battery life is poor and batteries aren't likely to be purchasable again - though with some effort you can adapt 3rd party ones (at your own risk).

On a positive note it does seem to survive being dropped and thrown around extremely well.

Also, if you're buying a new phone you should get more than 1GB of RAM. Sailfish has the worst problems with RAM usage of any mobile OS I know, though they have been ameliorated somewhat in the last couple of updates. It's much better off with 2GB.

I'd have struggled to ever recommend the Jolla as a piece of hardware nearly 2 years ago when it launched. Now? No way. It would have been EOL already if Jolla hadn't failed to 1) sell inventory 2) secure new partners.