View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
How does the vote work?
Each member of maemo.org, who has an account that is more than 3 months old and who has earned over 10 "karma" points on that account, gets an electronic ballot. This election ballot is a pair of "single transferrable votes". Voters will rank their Council candidates in order of preference; understanding that if their top candidate cannot get elected with the votes they receive, the votes are redistributed by rank order until all five seats have been allocated. They will then be able to vote for Board members in the same manner as the Council election above, with the list of candidates running for that body.
Why does it have to be based on your maemo.org account and karma points...
Why not just how long you've been rego'd at TMO & how many posts/thanks there?
Many users who've only come on board since Harmattan won't meet this requirement, even older members in some cases.
Seems a bit discriminatory.....

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The bylaws process is going on now through community review and will continue as long as needed. We will be working to have a much improved draft by Sept 17th so that it can serve as a reference point during the Board elections. If there is a provision of concern in the bylaws, then it should be debated in conjunction with the Board election and asked of the Board candidates rather than the Community Council candidates.
Well we haven't had much "to & fro" in that thread yet, so I'd hope you wouldn't close-off the by-laws for review on the 17th.
Also in the OP of this thread, it should be made clear exactly how many councilors & board members there will be, IIRC it was clarified in the by-laws thread.

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Although it has been clearly advised that any candidate can apply to both Council and Board, I'd like to share my personal opinion in this question.
Council activities can be very time consuming and adding Board duties to that, could be a bit too much for most of the people (real life issues, work, etc). So I really think it would be better to have different people running for each position. That would also prevent that in case someone needs to step down from Maemo activities (for whatever reason) we would loose a member of both organisations.
I haven't decided myself if I will run again for Council or for Board, but unless we really need more candidates, I will only apply for one position.
I'd go a step further & suggest that people can nominate for both, but if they win in both categories then they have to pick one role, & whomever was runner-up takes the other.
(Assuming there's enough suitable runner-up candidates who can & want to step-up of course)
Most users offering to fill these roles are already very busy in their "real lives", they're going to struggle filling one of the roles effectively let alone both.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-15 at 16:27.