Thread: Why Intel Atom?
View Single Post
I am honestly curious, why was an Intel Atom processor choosen in favor of an ARM one in the Jolla tablet? X86 processors are generally more energy hungry than comparable arm based ones and the jolla tablet has a pretty small battery. Support for the Intel atom on the linux platform is abysmal to say the least. Plus there is the issue of software compatibility, all the native applications on sailfish os are compiled for arm so you won't be able to use any of the native apps from sailfish os. I guess you could run apps designed for desktop linux, but sailfish os lacks several components from desktop linux necessary for running said applications.
Were Intel Atom chips cheaper? Was there more available reference designs and were reference designs more customizable? Did Intel provide technical or marketing assistance of some sort?
To me it seems the tegra k1 would be a better choice given that it is arm based and has open source drivers with excellent linux support. Plus many tablets already use it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post: