Thread: [SailfishOS] WhoGo Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
I have been working on incorporation of map matching info and navigation screen for driving by car. I am quite sure the same can be used for cycling as well.

As mentioned earlier, map matching, in addition to snapping position to the road network, gives current speed limit, street name, direction. While current implementation of hooking map matching is rather primitive and only good for testing it, I have been rather pleased with the results. Snapping to the road works quite well, speed limits in many places (NB! not all) are accurate, street names are well detected.

I looked around on how this info can be shown and tried to piece something together, as shown on attached screenshot. Here, menu button is replaced with speed/time to destination/distance to destination. That rectangle if clickable, as the one above. On top, the current road or street is shown, if detected. The map was blown up by using scaling 2x in the preferences and was rather nice to use while driving (normally I use it at 1x).

As you can see, I miss proper speed limit sign (anyone to chip in?). Right now its just shown in red. The other elements were shifted out of the way, for testing the other elements. While driving, I was missing ETA, would like to add it (top right?). North arrow and scale were actually useful to have, so would like to keep them too. As for fancy speed widget, not sure where (or if) to fit it.

All in all, its early days and with this work I mainly wanted to get the feedback and ideas/schemes on how to proceed. Then we would have to figure out how to integrate different modes of operation into WhoGo Maps, but that would be easier if there is a working prototype.

I am planning to work on map matching further and expose it properly. After that, would like to come back and work on the car navigation mode.
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: