View Single Post
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
(Update: Have no idea what's going on and about to ask a question? Page down to the FAQ first)

Well, it's not perfect yet and the "setup program" is somewhat less than elegant, but it "works for me" (TM) and I couldn't convince anyone else to test it. Just follow the instructions carefully and it should work well.

--Current Status--
What works:
-Playing music with mplayer and Kagu and Mediabox through your A2DP headphones!
-Scrolling in Kagu or Mediabox does not cause skipping, usually.
What's not so great:
-CPU usage is ~50% at 320MHz! That'll go through battery life pretty fast.
-No way at all to playback music through A2DP in the default media player
-Skipping can still occur during periods of high CPU usage from other apps.
-Installing still takes a little time at the command line. No need to learn vi or mess around with root privileges though.

-The A2DP HowTo-

1. Pair your A2DP headphones.
2. Click on the Bluetooth "B" icon in the status bar, then "Bluetooth settings..." -> Devices. Select your headphones from the list and click "Edit." Carefully write down (on a piece of paper or on your computer, not your tablet) the letters and numbers you see next to "Bluetooth address:" Mine is 00:07:A4:B6:F9:71 for reference.
NOTE: The colons ":" are important. Write those down too! The only characters you will see are the numbers 0 through 9 and the letters A through F. No need to worry whether you're seeing an I or a 1, an O or a 0.
3. Download and install the latest version of mplayer from Serge. rm_you's patch for better a2dp playback is now included! The version you want is mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.25.n8x0_armel or a higher version.
4. Download and install the a2dp-support package attached to this post. Current version is 0.9.
5. Open up "X Terminal" and run:
Code:
a2dp runfirst
6. It will ask you for the Bluetooth address of your headphones which you wrote down earlier. Type that in exactly as it was shown and hit enter.
7. To enable a2dp support type:
Code:
a2dp enable
8. Now anything that uses mplayer (such as mediabox or kagu) will try to play through your bluetooth headphones! To switch things back to normal and make mplayer play through speakers/wired headphones just type:
Code:
a2dp disable
Bonus: Don't like using the terminal to switch modes? Download and install osso-statusbar-cpu from here. Once it's loaded and running in the statusbar, tap on it, then "Settings" -> "Commands" -> "New." For "Description put "Toggle A2dp" and for Command type:
Code:
a2dp toggle
Now you can toggle a2dp on and off just by tapping the cpu-statusbar app then "Toggle A2DP"!

-Know Issues-
If your music stops when using the menus in mediabox or kagu and instead you hear screen taps being played through the headphones: Click on the "headset" icon that appeared in the statusbar when you paired your headphones and click "Disconnect."

FAQ
Q: Doesn't OS2008 come with A2DP? Why do I have to do all this?
A: Support for A2DP is included but not enabled. The instructions above are to enable it.

Q: I didn't follow the instructions and my headphones paired fine and I hear sound out of both speakers, but it sounds horrible: How do I fix it?
A: Your headphones are using HSP (HeadSet Protocol). Follow the above instructions to enable A2DP.

Q: Nokia should have included this by default! I don't know Linux and this is hard! This is slow and skitchy and soaks up battery power!
A: Yes. These are all true and valid statements. You can either wait for Nokia to fix it, wait for someone else to fix it or fix it yourself. If you just wanted to complain about the current situation please do it somewhere else, preferably one of the already existing "complaint" threads.

Q: When will this be fixed/improve/suck less?
A: I have no idea. Any help would make it go faster.

That's it for now. Tell me how it works for you. Keep in mind this is very beta, and that I don't consider this finished yet. If anyone is interested in the "source" package for this .deb tell me and I'll upload it as well. It's really just a script and a config file.

-John
Attached Files
File Type: deb a2dp-support_0.9_all.deb (3.7 KB, 3115 views)

Last edited by Johnx; 2008-07-02 at 16:11. Reason: Updated

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post: