View Single Post
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Alright, I think we all are/were more or less aware that sooner or later the day will come at which we need to migrate to a community-driven platform. Most probably the reason for this is that we are running out of funding like also mentioned, e.g., in the following thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84933

Please, I do not intend to create a similar discussion as in the above thread. Furthermore, I don't want to interfer with qgil and kate who are for sure doing their best for our community.

The reason why I create this thread is that I think we should be prepared for the situation in which we finally need to take care of our own. This thread is not intended to discuss the reasons, motivations, or enforce the migration but to gather important information. This will hopefully help us to be prepared once the "big day" comes.

I think the most logical first step to prepare for an eventually community-driven infrastructure is to come up with an inventory of what we already have and what issues, legal, infrastructure, steering, etc. will be affected. This is the intent of this thread: to gather information about things affecting a community-driven effort.

For now I found the following topics to be relevant:
  • Legal Issues (Names, Trademarks, Domain Names, etc.)
  • Infrastructure (Web Site, Forum, Wiki, Autobuilder + MeeGo OBS, Mailinglists, Garage, etc.)
  • Steering (How do we want to organize ourselves? However, please keep this thread on technical details and discuss political issues in a distinct thread.)

If you like we can create a Wiki page in which we document our findings.

What do you think about this? If you agree we should prepare please contribute what you think are important parts of *.maemo.org.

With respect to infrastructure: I propose that when we add an entry here we try to gather as much information as possible. We should also try to come up with freely available alternatives.
E.g., for garage.maemo.org free alternatives could be github or gitorious.

I'll start the list. Please excuse the currently very basic information. It would be great if we could strive for adding to this information as much as possible. So, I add the following:

Legal Issues
- What is the state about the name "Maemo"?
- Who owns "maemo.org"? What is needed for the community to run maemo.org? What are possible legal issues? What are the costs?

Infrastructure
- talk.maemo.org: alternative?
- wiki.maemo.org: alternative?
- garage.maemo.org: alternative: github, gitorious
- main web site at maemo.org: alternative?
- autobuilder?
- OBS at MeeGo?
- Repositories?
OBS should be integrated with MeeGo. Then we cut the costs.
garage.maemo.org: github/gitorious is a good thing.
Council should talk with Nokia about the patents and the SSU packages! It's a must-be. If nokia shuts the SSU repo down, no one will be able to install the SDK. So it's a high priority task.
wiki.maemo.org: there is wikia.com, maybe this would work. But I've not very much experience.
What's the difference between autobuilder and obs?
for repos: we need to reduce the amount of GB in the repos: remove from -devel the packages, that are already in -testing or extras.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: