View Single Post
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Those who "never" had this problem probably joined in 2011 and I wonder if they ever even read the long threads about this problem that were produced just before the N900 was released to the common people.
Come on, it's pure sophism. I'm perfectly aware of "early adopters" problems, but we're far away from times, when optification was arcane magic.

Of course, it's is obstacle for developing on device (yet, instructions on how to use whole 32GB eMMC as root may apply here), but to be honest, szopin's point about compression is much more interesting, IMO. Compression is a fact AFAIK, but isn't it possible to measure NAND actual speed (even including compression) just like we measure eMMC speed? I.E random access and raw read/write, separately? That would be much more appropriate, than "feelings" about something starting faster or not.

I'm quite convinced, that huge speed loss due to transparent compression in NAND is a myth, but it's also pure assumption - based on the fact, that compressing "bandwidth" based on CPU power is still much wider than writing capabilities of NAND (same apply for encrypted swap via TrueCrypt - despite encryption eating CPU, it doesn't make speed to suffer in any way, as it's still encrypting faster, than eMMC is able to write) - at worst, it may result in minimal speed lost on 100% CPU load (and if compression doesn't have highest/high priority).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: