View Single Post
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Splitting Nokia up is not the answer, and will only trash the company further.

The key thing is that Windows Phone is not aspirational and does not have the brand cachet that iOS has, and Android seems to have. People have Windows on their PC, and clearly do not want it on their phone.

As a symbian low-mid replacement it may have a future, but Elop needs to push the N9 worldwide as a iphone competitor, and bring onstream an N950 mk2 communicator type device (without the mistakes of the E7 - i.e. resolution, no microsd, no FMTX, no replaceable battery).

One of the things which confuses everyone is that all the cool stuff Nokia has released since Feb 11 and that the tech press has gone nuts about , has been obsolete stuff killed off by Elop - very confusing:
  • Nokia N9 - top end iphone competitor with cool innovative swipe
  • Nokia 808 pureview - Monster Cameraphone, but Symbian
  • MS Office integration - For Symbian
  • NFC support and accessories - not supported by Lumias

You could argue about including the N950 in that list as well, and sure there's other stuff. Meanwhile battery and wifi issues dog the Lumias, and everyone thinks Nokia is gonna go to the wall soon.

Elop made a big noise about meego being disruptive - well release the N9 worldwide and let it be disruptive.

My contract is up soon (3 months) and at the minute, it's looking like an SGSII or a Gnote for me - I would love an N9 but cannot buy one on a contract over here and don't have £400 to drop on one contract-free. Actually I'd prefer an N950, but the chances of one of them is zero! Certainly wont be another Nokia with the current lineup.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________