View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
Sweet. A "community" ssu that will get "announced" instead of developed by the community. I assume MohammedAG's work will be included, but what else is there that warrants an SSU?
I'm confused by your antagonism, which seems to be driven from a lack of information. (Although you seem to be arguing that the SSU is necessary, but also unnecessary within two sentences).

Firstly, it is being developed by the community; specifically MohammadAG and a few others. It's being openly discussed on IRC, and has been mentioned and discussed both in TMO and MWKN.

What is included, at the moment, is (OTTOMH):
  • Updated hildon-desktop, hildon-home
  • Modest updated to the trunk, and community patches which have been languishing on Bugzilla integrated
  • PulseAudio fixes

However, most importantly, it provides a mechanism to deliver enhancements to the numerous open source components by the community, including Nokia engineers who are no longer working on them as part of their day job.

This mechanism is more important than the first tranche of fixes.

Maybe we can get an update that removes all the links to defunct Ovi services?
I don't know what services you're talking about; but create such a package and either users can install it via Extras or it can be installed via the SSU. However, the scope of an SSU is to update the OS components - updating HAM or hildon-desktop via Extras is problematic.

So, for example, the CSSU shouldn't contain fMMS, despite it being massively useful & popular, because it can be trivially installed from Extras.

The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: