View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Sorry for the next part being vague, but I'm tired at the moment and I'm not really used to compiling kernels so I'm not sure about the right procedure.
I first tried setting this in freemangordons-linux-n900/.config:
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=1
CONFIG_RFKILL_REGULATOR=m
But it got overwritten during the run of build-kernel.sh.
Normally you should use
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=y
to build it into the kernel, or
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=m
to build it as a module.

after compiling the kernel I could actually find an rfkill.ko module in freemangordons-linux-n900/modules/lib/modules/3.16.0-rc1+/kernel/net/rfkill
It sounds like it built it as a module if you've got an rfkill.ko. I'm not sure if that was what you desired.

So I copied the whole modules directory (the 2nd one under modules/lib/) and the kernel (by overwriting the old kernel) to the µSD and started the device N900 with it.
You also need to create a U-Boot compatible kernel image and initrd. initrd might not be necessary but I always rebuild it to ensure that everything is kept in step. You can do this either on the device or in a QEMU chroot.
Code:
# KERNELRELEASE=3.18.0-rc6+
# mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 80008000 -e 80008000 -n $KERNELRELEASE -d /boot/zImage-$KERNELRELEASE /boot/uImage-$KERNELRELEASE
# update-initramfs -c -k $KERNELRELEASE
Obviously you'll want to substitute the value of KERNELRELEASE for the name of your kernel release. If you grabbed my scripts after 7th October then update-initramfs will create the uInitrd image automatically (thanks to sim6!) otherwise you will need to manually create it:
Code:
# mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n initramfs -d /boot/initrd.img-$KERNELRELEASE /boot/uInitrd-$KERNELRELEASE
If you're setting up a new kernel release remember to update U-Boot too.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: