View Single Post
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
This week I got the suggestion by someone that we should focus on icons. I'm not a graphic artist myself, but I know there are lots of helpful and able designers on this forum - it's your chance to help out here and make the UI more prettier.

We do not concentrate so much on layout and text, but directly on the icons. Here's a draft of how it could look like (suggestions always welcome):
  • Browse the app menu and find apps without icons ("blue square")
  • Browse HAM ("App. manager") in the "Uninstall" view and find apps with no icons / bad icons / icons that are too small / icons that are not "cut out correctly"; also check if command-line apps have the "$" in the upper left corner
  • Find icons in use inside applications (toolbars, buttons, etc..) - check that they fit the general style of icons in the UI and if they appear "sharp" (not blurry)

Designers should then help out with fixing the icons or creating new ones and sending them to the application maintainer who can then hopefully easily replace the icons without having to do much coding.

Icon sizes are documented here:

App manager icon size: 48x48
Task manager icon size: 64x64

Please also make sure to re-use existing icons in the icon theme (or from other applications) if they describe the same behaviour/action (e.g. the "share" icon, general_add, etc..). You can find the icons in /usr/share/icons/

Add application/menu icons to this wiki page where we can more easily track progress (also upload new icons there and change the status if you are working on icons: http://wiki.maemo.org/UX/Icons

Last edited by thp; 2010-04-18 at 13:07.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: