View Single Post
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
[...]
  • What do we do about funding, infrastructure, resourcing of the websites & services on maemo.org?
  • What are the possible futures of Maemo, and how can we achieve them?
Future of Maemo 5 Fremantle

Pali made a list of the closed packages and provided scripts to backup repositories. based on this, two posters offered hardware they had @ home (SANs) to make a repository.
if there is interest, i'm willing to contact a UNIX User Group and ask what the conditions are for them to mirror a repository.
problem we have completely unsolved is the closed packages.
could the council "direct" ppl to work on those? or facilitate a collaboration with the CSSU team?

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Saying "the Council needs to lead us" is entirely missing the point. Someone needs to come up with concrete, viable proposals which can be discussed. The council can assist with the publication and collaboration of that, as - I'm sure - anyone vested in Maemo will also publicise.

Once there is a popular, actionable plan for either of these two items, the council's power is to say "this is the roadmap" and then assist with the publication and collaboration of that, as - I'm sure - anyone vested in Maemo will also publicise.

The big "but" is, as smoku alluded to, no-one has come forward with a plan, nor even a plan to have a plan. It's unrealistic to expect five volunteers to be super CEOs of an amorphous, unruly and - if this, and so many other, threads are anything to go by - increasingly ungrateful mob.

The sad fact is that there may not be an ultimate end-game beyond "let's move to COBS for autobuilder, consolidate and reduce infrastructure costs as much as possible; have funding drives; introduce adverts and assist the CSSU as much as possible". That's still a lot of work, a lot of planning, and a lot of coordination. Who's volunteering to do it?

[1] The definition of "the community" has always been a little contentious, but my definition is "if you think you're in it, you're in it". Admittedly, this makes external definitions hard which is why we fall back on maemo.org accounts.

[2] Of course, one doesn't need to be on the Community Council to do that, but one doesn't need to be on the Community Council to do anything. You don't need its permission. You don't need its sanction. If you have a good idea, JFDI.
i leave the rest of your post rather then replacing it with my usual [...]
can't think of any comment about how enthusiastic you seem to be
did anyone ask you to be a superhero?
i wonder in how far your lack of enthusiasm is what makes the mob... "so ungrateful"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post: