View Single Post
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
My more and more persistent thought after the Elopocalypse, and with the experience of the other minor apocalypses I've seen in the last 12 years as a fond Nokia user is:

I want a Debian phone.

I want a phone with an absolutely free and libre operating system that can't be ditched by a single CEO the day he's got a real bad belly ache; that has no DRM whatsoever; that has no ad-engine; that is going to be updated when updates are ready, not for marketing's sake; that makes me feel good.
Nothing less.

Hardware may vary: no corporation is going to do the thing I want just straight out of the box - it wouldn't bring them control, and money.

Though, Qole's efforts (but also several other contributors here, and Penguinbait with his Kde, and in other forums - Android, Pandora, even iOS) have shown that it's possible indeed, even maybe not at 100%. Though I'm sure that it may be possible to go very close to that 100% when many people really want it and are going to cooperate.

Might be the Galaxy Tab or the Galaxy S, for example: quite a complete hardware with already well-known nasty "features" - but also other hardwares could be chosen, preferring the most common and best known.

Then on top of Debian, a number of gui hacks to make the thing amenable to phone use, mainly the use of a touch-friendly ui. I think that this can be accomplished too.

What do you think of such a dream? Naif? Silly? Doable?
What about that?:

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...linux-slp.html
http://www.limofoundation.org/

"LiMo Foundation is an industry consortium dedicated to creating the first truly open, hardware-independent, Linux-based operating system for mobile devices. Backing from major industry leaders puts LiMo at the Heart of the Mobile Industry and makes LiMo the unifying force in Mobile Linux."

Last edited by BLIZZARD; 2011-02-12 at 14:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to BLIZZARD For This Useful Post: