View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
As it happened I managed to get my hands on several surplus EeePC-901's which are fairly nice as it is with the original (really limited) OS they were released with but are pitifully slow when running any modern distribution. (I think the cpu is some weeny atom thingy and there is next to no RAM installed...)

The original OS has some severe limitations, like only having WEP security available! Yes, it seems WPA2 was only invented later on...
Hence need to run something more modern on them.
The EEE 901 came with an Atom N270 and 1GB of RAM. It was shipped with either WinXP or Xandros Linux. The latter was not available in all countries.
At that time the base of Xandros (Debian Sarge) was already heavily dated and the system was basically unmaintainable.

My 901 still works fine with Debian Stretch and Xfce. I upgraded the memory to 2GB (max) and replaced the stock 8GB SSD with 64GB model.
The speed is still acceptable in most stuations. Web browsing has become sort of a challenge though. The web and major browsers have picked up quite some weight during the past decade.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: