View Single Post
There is always a better phone or new flashy app. I bought an Android tablet three years ago and a Mi band one year ago thinking it wouldn't be a problem to synchronize it with my 'still pretty recent' tablet. Wrong. It couldn't be used due to the older Android version and even the hardware was too old because of the need to synchronize with bluetooth 4.0. Not possible to install Cyanogen Mod on the tablet - so basically two years after buying it it was already obsolete.

That is our current reality. I have decided to quit this race that is only beneficial for the balance sheet of large companies.

There are still people that are using their C64s, Atari's and Amiga's in 2016. I think they are having more fun than folks buying the latest desktops or tablets.
Are they complaining that they can't browse with their computer?

Just re-evaluate what you really need on your phone and what you can do on your tablet - desktop. I consider tinkering with my N900 a DIY hobby, the N900 is not just a phone.
I know some folks on this forum don't want to hear that, they just want a fix for their problems. Wishing, asking or begging will not make anything happen though and it will certainly not make the hardware better.
There are only a few developers doing the important stuff. IMO the kernel should be the main priority but even more important is that these devs are doing the things they enjoy doing.

It is nice to have an updated Maemo / CSSU but with a solid kernel you can build anything on top of it (eg DebiaN900).
Thinking out loud: maybe even chroot into Maemo then if that is possible (easy Maemo )

I still hope to see someone posting a tutorial how to use telephony comfortable with native Debian (or any other distro). That seems to me the only way to make the N900 semi 'future-proof'

If that happens - I will be so glad that I still own 4 fully functional N900's

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post: