View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Some more details on the Solu computer:
  • The operating system is Android/AOSP (source).
  • The subscription cost is 20EUR/month (source).
  • It has 32GB of internal storage.

I have to say I like their business model of selling subscription on Kickstarter. Customers are pretty much buying (for 300-350USD) their way to a walled garden where they have to pay monthly fee to use the device they have bought for the price. It's quite a bold move by the company and I honestly give them props for that. Seeing how they passed 50% of their goal in the first day, it only confirms my feeling from when the campaign started that 200 000USD (~600 subscribers = 12 000EUR/month) is quite a low target which they may later regret.

That was a pure business view. What do I think about it as a potential customer? I will not buy it for obvious reasons (Android, walled garden, cloud, touchscreen as a mouse, etc.), but as their Kickstarter is so low (~600 users), I would be worried about the ecosystem with such a small community, which would also prevent me from buying it at this point.

It looks exactly like OUYA - a powerful Android device with a nice skin on top of AOSP - and I don't think Android is anywhere near to be ready for desktop computing, just as it wasn't ready for gaming in OUYA's case. And just like OUYA, it's biggest problem will be finding software for their store.

We'll see. I really liked their initial video (with the rap poetry), but this product is not for me.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-10-17 at 08:57.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: