View Single Post
Hi soeiro, I like the accelerometer idea. That makes sense. However, the device movement should probably not prevent the device from auto-dimming completely, just make the interval longer... so that the device does not staly lit all the time while you are travelling for instance.

Similarly, the fact whether or not anything on the screen has changed could also play role...

One of the moments when I fight the auto-dimming is application upadtes (here the progress bar is moving), or when I connect my laptop to the Internet via the N900, I want to watch the changing data traffic figures on the phone (I know I can check the "display staus lit when charging" option, but I want my N900 to be smart and figure it out itself when I want it to be lit - I do not want it to be lit when just charging). Other times, a one minute time-out works well for me. I know is is impossible for the phone to guess the auto-dimming perfectly, but I think some degree of artificial inteligence in this regard can be achieved rather easily..