View Single Post
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'm trying not to be the management type that stops an engineer or accountant in their tracks when they throw up reasons why something can't be done but so far these all sound like solvable problems to me.

Sure, we could pick a Sony and then do a kick *** port to that, and I for one would be happy, but the idea is to build a relationship with an ODM.

1) Start with an almost off the shelf design they have that can be a base port.

2) sell n hundred / thousand

3) do the niche versions with keyboards / huge batteries / big screens / small screens / IR ports / fins
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Which brings me back to the first post. How hard would that be?

Surely we could come up with a list of components that would be the least trouble to port to?

eg. CPU: Snapdragon 615, Camera Sensor: Sony IMX300... etc
I have no intention to start an argument, but it looks like you underestimated the complexity building a piece of hardware.

I'm not working for manufacturers, and may not be 100% accurate, but I think it is worth remind you (and a few others) here the process of building a phone:

- You need to make a solution regarding RF, specs and components. You need to decide how many 3G/4G band to support, and the component such as camera, memory and SoC to make sure they support each other. Depends on the band you choose, you need to leave relevant space on the board.

- You need some good Electronic engineer to draw a good circuit board, considering all components and structures and antennas etc. If it goes all well usually 20 days.

- You need to decide a looking and make a relevant out closure design. You need a good hardware engineer to solve all the problems on moulding. This can go to details as the position of a plastic clip. If all well it tales 40-50 days.

- You need a system engineer to write hardware adaption.

- You need manufacturing preparation, i.e factory gives you production line, components provider willing to sell you pieces with reasonable price etc. (If you are talking about thousands of quantity, nobody cares)

=== Up to this is what we can ask ODM to do ===

Now comes with the difficult part:

- You need to prepare for different certification. For Europe, you need at lease CE, RoHS and WEEE. Maybe a few others. This is time consuming and can cost a lot.

- You need to solve the logistics, how the device ship to each company/warehouse and how/where to store them.

- You need to sort our warranty, each cost, how repair/substitute works. How to handle components etc. This is a long story.

Now, given that you mould works 100% (unlikely on first 3 attempts), your board works fine, provider willing to sell you etc........

- You need to have Sailfish OS engineer to tune the OS.

- You need to have certain quality control at factory.

- You need to test RF with the professional equipment.

- You need to test the whole system and make sure at least it won't break on normal use.

- You need to design the box/manual/warranty info/safety info

- You need to translate relevant info into 10 different languages....

The list goes on and on. I haven't even listed in details.

Finally a big upfront cost and persuade to customer that it's not scam.

Building a phone is not like building a PC or a vehicle.

If you believe you can do all this, please go ahead. Or if you can spare me with 1 or 2M dollars I can also do that for you. I have already know some reliable providers.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post: