View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
Nokia will license out their name to Foxconn and other Chinese phone manufacturers from 2016 (with their launcher on top).
Yes, that is even quite probable. Foxconn will roll out a generic android with the licensed name on the front face.
However it will not be a "Nokia device", just like the tablet isn't.

I think the current leadership is burnt out on phones, there's no desire to go back there. They have nothing left of their mobile division - which was a money sink anyway - it all went to Microsoft. The only entry I can realistically see would be a Jolla-like, small team, Android or Meego-esque OS. But them they wouldn't be able to license their name so easily, so the opportunity cost wouldn't be worth it.
True again. If Nokia went into phones again, it'd have to be in a big way and there just is no possibility for it again. The mobile industry is shaped like that now; there's room at the top for only 1 or 2 players, and some profitability for really small players on the bottom.

As for the 808, I'd expect it to run well on pretty much any processor. For one, look at the screen resolution. Android phones may have been fairly laggy at the time, but I think the Galaxy SIII (which released in the same month) would've run Android fine if it needed to display only 230k pixels, instead of the 921k it actually did.

Anyway, Nokia's actually doing fairly well now. They've adapted before, this is just another change of face.
Indeed. Going into denial is the receipe for disaster and doom, it is important to realize when a segment is turning sour and turn into doing other things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: