View Single Post
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
If I understand right, the on/off switch is not normally needed... just leave it on all the time.
Yup, exactly. You only need to switch off if the tablet has to be restarted for some reason, but that's quite rare.

If you want some hints and tips on power saving I've done a tutorial all about it:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...e-battery.html

But if I use it to the point where I've exhausted the battery power, I assume that the unit will shut itself off at that point, or will it go into some kind of sleep mode until connected to power?
It will warn you several times before the battery runs out, both with dialogue boxes and an alarm tone. If you ignore the warnings it will eventually switch itself off.

Thanks. After twenty years of using desktop/laptops and ten years of using Windows CE devices, I'm having to learn to use something different with the n800.
This power saving aspect isn't actually any different in princple to other computers.

Computers always use more power starting up than when they're just switched on, because the process of starting up a computer involves much more intense processor activity than simply being switched on.

If a computer has no moving parts and no running apps, and it dims the screen automatically when not in use, it can remain in standby mode for a very long time before the battery runs out, as much as several days. That's what the internet tablets do.

Also, note I wrote "good charger" above. The A/C adapter that comes with a tablet supplies a fair amount of power.
The other important point to make is that the Nokia charger which comes with the tablets will load the battery much faster than most Nokia chargers.

All standard Nokia chargers will work in that they will load the tablet's battery, but they will do so at different rates depending on what current they're rated at.

The way to tell the difference between Nokia chargers (or any chargers) is to look at the specs printed on them, and look for the output current which will be in mA or milliamperes. The higher the output current, the faster the battery will charge.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-06-09 at 17:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: