View Single Post
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I won't be using any chess game on a tablet to play on FICS. Most of the people there play fast games; I play 1-minute most days. You need something fast, because seconds count. Speed is partly a question of size. A tablet just won't work well.

Computer chess is generally not fun. The world does not need another computer chess game of any size.

What is needed is a good chess display program. You can go to FICS or ICC or other chess hangouts and watch games being played all over the world.

It would also be incredibly handy to have a good chess display program to use while reading chess books, a popular pursuit among people who care about chess.

The program SCID is already available for Linux. It has already been made available on tablets, but it needed a few modifications (it should have been rotated for better board size) and no one ever responded to requests to do that. (It also has a new play feature, but I wasn't impressed by it.)

For playing, the chess interfaces Eboard and Xboard were already adapted to tablets, but needed more work, which was never done. They could also be used for watching multiple games in an international tournament at the same time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: