View Single Post
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
PS and VDVsx knows well because he had the first initiative and he carried with a lot of work of promotion, coordination, chasing people to vote and etc.
Yes, and he deserves that credit and no one is taking that away from him. What I am saying is nothing personal against him in any way shape or form.

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
The process was open for everybody in the maemo community, and if you don't like/use canola, that doesn't mean others don't use it.
Correct and that's fine. They can like and use it all they want. I know full well that "a lot" of people do use Canola (whatever "a lot" means anyways...)

Nokia didn't sponsored anything, all the SoC initiative was done and led by community people, and the canola folks belong to that community, they, unlike others, have done things for the community, instead of only ranting in forums.
You're right about the sponsorship, my mistake. You're also right... I've never done *anything* for this community *ever*.

Ranting is easy isn't it ?
As I said the process was open for everybody.
Why didn't you expressed your opinion in time ?
As somebody use to say in these forum "less talk, more action".
Against this, yes. It's VERY easy.

You want to know why I didn't express my opinion on time? Take a look at my previous posts. I have no interest in reopening old wounds by spelling it all out for you now.

It's nothing against the guys that work on Canola... I'm sure they all work hard on it and they need help and that's fine. I'm just absolutely shocked that the community would make these choices in light of some of the many other things the community as a whole have wanted and been much more vocal about, such as an integrated PIM app, whereas I've never once heard anyone say they needed an IM app within Canola. Or Remember the Milk. (Not even a Remember the Milk app for the tablets, which makes sense... but a plugin for Canola?)

Where is the list of final votes from the community on this SoC list? I can't find anything on the forum or on the site showing a tabulated list of votes for the projects to be accepted in SoC. For an open community process, it sure seems hard to find. All I see is that Google announced which apps were accepted.

Maemo's a rich mixture of applications from across the board and everyone has a wildly different set of use cases with their tablets as anyone that's ever been here on the forums can see. So how does one app get most of the attention? Something just doesn't add up.

"less talk, more action," you say. That's why I'm going to try to make sure that future SoCs should limit the amount of projects that can be accepted/submitted per application so that a greater spectrum of the Maemo userbase can benefit from SoC, not just a subset. So that benefits from SoC are felt not just by those that use one application, and not just by power users but *everyone*.

You may see it as ranting, but it's only through irritation that a clam can create a pearl.

But yeah, I don't ever do anything for the community.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-07-31 at 21:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: