View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but developing a good Android launcher, with all the features we all loves (gestures, etc), seems to be a far more easiest thing than coding a whole OS. And starting with such fundation would give support of Android applications "from scratch", without having to rely on tweaks like Alien Dalvik, sfdroid, etc. Packaging such Android distro would also be far easier and support of various phones would not be a problem anymore.
OK, I'll correct you because you are wrong.

To me the question is not about launchers. In fact I could not care less if SFOS looked like Android since this thing goes way deeper than the look of the UI.
(Okay, maybe I'm not completely honest here, sure the SFOS UI is improvement over Android/iOS/WP but still, beauty is only skin deep)

The true beauty of SFOS is deeper in the system, it is the realization that you have the full linux userland down there, with the endless possibilities of full set of GNU toolchaiins at your disposal, that almost everything you can imagine compiles out-of-the-box for you...
It is in the realization of the MER layer that provides seamless integration of the mobile services to the application layer, it is the beauty and simplicity of application development in QT/QML...

You get none of that with Android, even as AOSP is so open it has all the basic limitations of Android systems...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: