View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
As far as I remember, qmapboxgl does use some QtLocation structures, but I could be mistaken. If this will disqualify it from current Harbour - so be it. I am sure that Jolla will change the rules regarding QtLocation when they manage to get into working on QtLocation 5.6. There is surely a pressure from their customers to get it sorted, maybe just would take some time. In meanwhile, we can distribute via OpenRepos, if needed.
Yep, that sounds like a good plan. All the hacks one needs to do to get stuff to Jolla Store (modRana has a fair share of them as well) is really sad and one needs to draw a line somewhere.

Mapbox GL Native allows you to add all these elements via GeoJSON and styling of the data. This should allow to add POIs, routes, any polygon... See https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-gl-...window.cpp#L96 for the start of the example.
Interesting! That looks pretty powerful and useful.

I am planning to expose similar API as well as write a small wrapper allowing you to add routes/POIs/location icon easier. So, you would not have to draw anything above it, just regular widgets as you do for interaction. Let's see where I can get in a week.
That definitely sounds like a good idea - to provide a general purpose "add/remove" POI marker/route API while still allowing to use the lower-level GeoJSON as well for more advanced stuff.

BTW, any idea if the markers could be made clickable ? Some generic "marker <id> clicked, with id set/provided at marker creation would be enough. Otherwise it would be tricky to resolve which marker the user has clicked on due to rotation/animation/camera angle, etc. Not are a blocker though as there are ways to address the markers even when they are not clickable, by eq. showing a list, etc. Still would be nice to have & is IIRC already possible with current solutions in Poor Maps and in modRana.

We would probably need tile-based widgets, as you all have already, as well to support sources that are not compatible with the mapbox-gl. So, you would probably end up having two alternative ways to show the maps that you would have to switch in between in the application.
Yeah, supporting to map views/widgets is certainly the way to go for the time being.

On the other hand I wonder - how hard it would be to also support map tiles in the Open GL widget ? That way you could use specialized tiled map layers (traffic, weather, OSM bugs, etc.) on top of the rendered map layer or even just use tiled maps directly with all the benefits of an Open GL based map widget. It would also mean mapping apps could eventually drop their solutions for tiled maps as the Open GL map widget would cover that as well.

As an example of an Open GL based tiled map widget, Cloud GPS had that oh so many years ago back on the good old N900:

https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58402
https://vimeo.com/16748976

But in any case no pressure - this is just a nice to have feature while the widget already provides a lot of pretty cool stuff & there is certainly much more things that need to be solved.

Widget seems to be locked. Its actually possible to use other data sources, as done for https://openmaptiles.org/ . Right now I am developing against Mapbox data sources, since it easiest. Already now it should be possible to use other sources, but I have not tried.
Nice - good to know it's already possible to use alternative data source.

As for offline, as soon as widget is ready, I am planning to add offline support for it via OSM Scout Server. We should be able to squeeze in additional datapack for mapbox gl, I presume it will be of similar size to mapnik datapack. Hopefully, data.modrana.org will be fine to host it .
Yep, no problem at all - there should definitely be enough space for that.

So, the plan is to go all the way with the full online and offline support. And I don't think there are any major roadblocks on the way.
Nice!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: