View Single Post
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
[...]
https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-8/ : weekly design report of librem5, focusing on services integration.
In theory, the visions in this post are awesome. But they also are pretty much the same that Jolla tried. Jolla tried to integrate Facebook to Messages app, like in this picture:https://puri.sm/wp-content/uploads/2...m-1024x588.png

We know what happened, and I'm afraid that it will happen to Purism also. Companies/apps like Facebook, Whatsapp etc. aren't interested to integrate their apps with open source multi use hybrid messaging applications. On the contrary, they will try to prevent it if they can. Nor they will develop their own apps for Purism OS, at least if the phone isn't popular enough. And it won't be popular with those apps missing, so...

Later in that post, they state
The “Messaging” application is used to send instant messages, no matter the technology used behind that (e.g. Matrix, SMS, XMPP).
So perhaps they aren't even planning to integrate Whatsapp stuff. Same with other apps (phone, calendar etc). So they will end like "let's integrate these open services to one app and then use the proprietary apps separately (if available, and I doubt that)." I'm not blaming them, because this is basically the best they can do. But in a modern world, where some particular proprietary apps are quite important for most people, the user experience might be even more complicated if some services are integrated and the others doesn't.

I know that there is still a lot of people who don't use/need those proprietary apps. And the Purism phone is more dedicated to those people. But, it still looks like another Jolla. Big amount of money spent to development, and lack of sales because of missing features. Only "being different" is not a good enough advertisement for most people.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post: