View Single Post
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't see GPS as a "disaster" on the N810. Slow to initially acquire signals? Yes. But "disaster" is an exaggeration IMO.
After reading all the arm-waving about the N810's GPS I decided to take my brand new N810 for a walk, just to see what it was like.

It was raining, so I put the thing in a waterproof map case so I could use it in the rain, then stuck it in my pocket out the way.

To lock satellites and get a location in Maemo-mapper initially took about two minutes, which is about the same as the bluetooth GPS I used to use on my N800.

While walking around the GPS maintained a lock with the N810 in my pocket, and it accurately showed me where I was - I took a shortcut across some fields, and at the point where I rejoined the main road my N810 also said I was stood at the edge of the road.

The only issue I've noticed is that the accuracy wanders if the device is stationary. It always claims I'm moving at 0.1-0.3MPh in a random direction and can jump 5 or 10 metres. I find it hard to believe my house is shuffling around on its foundations that much I know this is a GPS issue, but it'd be really helpful if Maemo mapper could ignore speeds less than 1MPh, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to piku For This Useful Post: