View Single Post
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Hm-m. This sounds workable, sort of:

1) Buy the Audible audiobook (oops, left out -- step 0) Install the Audible Manager software)
2) Buy the recording software (Nero 8 -- $80 Windows, $25 Linux; free 2-week trial available)
or
2) Obtain Apple iTunes to burn the CD
3) Install the Audible plugin
3) Burn a CD to a virtual disk. This will have .mp3 files, not .aa files.
4) Install the software to mount a virtual disk.
5) Use that software to mount your CD
6) Copy the .mp3's to your NIT or other .mp3 player
or
6) Install the Nokia Audiobook Manager
7) Convert the .mp3's on the virtual CD to .awb format
8) Copy the .awb files to your NIT and play in Media Player

I've never burned a CD with iTunes, but presumably this isn't something that costs anything.

And once you've assembled all the software pieces, it's really just convert-and-burn to CD, then convert again if you want, to get smaller .awb files.

(I believe .awb is used with speech files compressed using the AMR wide-band codec, and .amr with files using AMR narrow-band. Apparently Media Player handles them both already, referring to them collectively as AMR files. As its name suggests, AMR WB encompasses a wider range of frequencies than AMR NB, which tosses out anything you can't hear over your POTS phone anyway.)

I've specified each step, so that someone visiting the forums in the future can just cut to the chase and read this thread to know what to do. Thanks, JoeF!

or just spend $50-$150 on a dedicated MP3 player that fully supports Audible already. Thus saving the 100's of hours wasted on conversion for a library. Plus a dedicated player will offer significantly better battery life saving the NIT's power for other uses.