View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
[...] and it's understandable that he didn't want to "sell" it completely to GDC, making it fully a GDC property.

Of course it would be easier if he said "yeah, whatever, I don't care", but I don't think such attitude would be healthy for the project. It would be even more damaging than all the refunds :P
Yes, but there's an even more compelling explanation why I CANNOT do this (and believe me I had preferred to actually say "yeah, whatever...", and rather avoid all this hassle we now are confronted with) : I promised N900/fremantle compatibility, and for that I'm responsible and every single one of you can call me out on it. This results in certain hw-level decisions that MUST be followed to make Neo900 the product we promised. GDC/Nikolaus comes from the Openmoko side and has a very limited experience with maemo and the original N900. So it's again about responsibility in the end, I promised sth to community and can't control that it gets implemented.
On a sidenote: I've still been on "health recovery holiday" during last week and so wasn't really involved in the discussion that resulted in Nikolaus' own analysis making him decide that the organization must change - there's been no dissent or argument. While he's perfectly aware that I'm in charge to specify such maemo-compatibility-related bits, he correctly claims that his past role in the project (holding funds == hat on) doesn't allow him (legally) to unconditionally run the project according to my decisions, and he never felt happy with that role as well. So it had to change. The project doesn't "crumple" or fall apart, it rather consolidates and approaches what initially been planned and every member of Neo900 team (incl Nikolaus) feels it should be. Sorry for the noise this causes, we tried to avoid such noise but were not able to find a smoother way.

HTH
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-17 at 03:46.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: