View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Just my personal view:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
mafw: none -> Mediaplayer OpenMediaplayer, Gallery: gone
alsaped: none -> consistent handling of audio in all situations, for all sources and sinks: gone
I don't care.

PA XPROT: none -> sooner or later your speakers blow up (unless we fix that on hw level).
I hope you can fix that on the HW level somehow, otherwise is there reason why Debian's PA can't be told to work like Fremantle's? (this is so not my field of expertise)

standard upstream kernel -> optimized power handling of maemo kernel: gone; standby time: abysmal (watch out! oversimplified picture - power handling depends on whole system)
MCE (and all the stuff it needs, like dsme etc pp): none -> complete state control (ringtone, vibra, indicator LED, screen lock, orientation, backlight brightness): gone
HAL-addon-bme & friends: none -> proper battery monitoring, low-bat warnings, clean shutdown: gone
Is there a reason why this can't be imlemented in Debian (custom kernel+some other packages)?

liblocation: none -> all location aware apps: gone
Yay!

and so on and on (probably I missed to list 60..80% in that enumeration)
Maybe someone would care to complete this list - especially when there are potentially HW-damaging items on it?

PS: Maemo is Debian,
You don't know how much it pains me to hear that from you (again).
From a Debian maintainer's POV (I'm none) Fremantle was broken from the start. It was a crude mix of Lenny and Squeeze with even some parts coming from Etch.
Everybody who asks for help with a system like this in a Debian community will be asked to throw it away and start over again.
Fremantle is the impersonation of dependency hell. For Easy Debian we had to patch PA since the Squeeze images, and starting with Jessie we'll have to patch glibc (assuming it will still work when Jessie is released). Some packages are already broken (gparted on armel/hf, gimp on armel) and this is not due to the architecture (the same ED images work fine on my Cubieboard2). And it will only get worse.
Quite frankly I'm tired of this and it even made me stop my activity on TMO because in the long run I didn't see any future in the N900/Fremantle. The Neo900 with the potential to run Debian (the real thing) changed that.

Now, don't get me wrong, I highly appreciate what you are doing to keep Fremantle alive. But in its current state (the state it has been in from the start) I don't want it anymore. It is not compatible with Debian and therefore it is NOT Debian.

Enough with this whining. The rest I'd have to say (positive and negative) has already been said by wicket.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: