View Single Post
removing closed source packages and forward porting patches is for me the way to proceed at the moment. any idea of updating needs to address these.

cssu is already doing this where possible (pixman comes to mind). Aapo's work on rebasing against Debian 6 shows whats possible but is hindered by these blobs. pali and fmg (and those i forgot) are working hard on upstream kernel, just check out number of features added in 3.13, but again need lots of LD_PRELOAD shims IIRC to get it working with the rest of it. then there's omp, clock replacement, calculator....

debian stable releases have plenty of testing due to their release when ready attitude, something the debian maintainers should be proud of. switching to a base where we can track the upstream stable point releases would help aleviate (sorry if spelt wrong) some of the cssu guys work. switching to upstream kernel reduces number of backported fixes/features they need to maintain.

so i see why you may want a new updated version, but we need to sort out the one we've got first and that won't happen whilst we have to rely on closed source drivers/components.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: