View Single Post
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
I would like to know how to port maemo or which rough steps are needed. This should allow us to start porting very quick when the Neo900 is released.
So I was looking for a cheap device which could be useful to make a proof of concept.
My problem is now I don't have a clue how to start.

Should I study linux from scratch or just build a kernel and copy the rootfs?
Which toolchain I need to use?
When I am using the same toolchain as N900 do I need to compile all packages?
So first thing is taking the N900 Kernel and add all hardware drivers for the new device?

I would appreciate if someone can put some light in this matter. I will also document the work that it could be used as a guide.

I choosed following hardware it has some kernel source (don't know about hardware status support) and you could boot from sd card:

lenovo A1_07 Kernel

TI OMAP 3622 1GHz Cortex-A8 single-core processor
MDDR 512MB
16 GB
GPU PowerVR SGX530
600 x 1024 pixels

Is it possible and feasible to port to that device? If somebody want to jump on this project and try to port maemo with me, I would donate 2 used devices for the first two seriously willing developers which have some experience in kernel work and porting.

The benefit of this project could be that some owners of the A1 will get interested in Maemo so the community can grow a little and we get new manpower.
Also the project will be teaching and training the community for the release day of Neo900 how to help porting maemo to it.

What you think?
Everyone is welcome to jump on and participate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post: