View Single Post
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by docnesh View Post
Hello,

I am new here, and as such have refrained from saying anything... but this is getting a bit ridiculous. convoluted hit the nail on the head with his comment about new users and google searches pointing people to these forums...

2 weeks ago I started looking here because I was thinking about investing in an n800. It was this site and maemo.org that put me over the edge to buy one. Mainly because I said to myself, hey this is reminiscent of the early days of palm os, they have an intelligent community of users and developers who like this device and what nokia is trying to do in the market and who understand the benefits of open.... everyone seemed helpful and knowledgable...

Shortly after the flamewar started I will confess I found it very entertaining, but honestly this forum should be informative more than it is entertaining.

As for nanny rules and powers governing your free speech, we have this in society already, and frankly we need it here... just like there are laws against slander and libel and yelling "fire!" falsely in a crowded place, so must there be some degree of enforcement here in the forums or it ceases to function as it should.

The truely funny thing is these "rules" don't prevent flamewars, they just prevent "personal attacks" (as the title of this thread/announcement indicates.... this requires some degree of creativity and thoughtfulness to go into your replies, instead of attacking some one directly... attack what they are saying....

Anyway that was my 2 cents... I find this forum to be a valued resource and one I check on a daily basis.... I am not fearful of any new rules that go into effect because honestly the moderator/founder's postings on this subject seem very tempered and controled... this forum appears to be in good hands and hardly worth leaving over, or worth feeling persecuted over... I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath and relax

--Jeff
It's just one freakin' thread in -- how many active discussions?

If the population of the forum insists on having nanny rules, it'll have nanny rules. But I will most likely no longer be here...