View Single Post
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL

The place is called Freedom Square. No, it's not the reason for the photo, it's only coincidence. What made me consider the place was its history.

Province I live in has quite interesting history. Independences, partitions, tens of principalities, belonging to half of European states (ok, maybe not so much, Poland, Bohemia, Hungary (once), Austria, Prussia, German Empire, Poland, III Reich, Poland...), and even one Mongol invasion (13th century, battle of Legnica, the most western point of Genghis' empire armies reach). So, inhabitants from many nations (well, no Mongols I know of), strong bunch of "locals" with no respect to surrounding states and all neighbours claiming "Ours!" for this or that reason.

The city I live in was established mere 150 years ago, under German rule. The square was named Wilhelmsplatz (William's Square) in honor of German emperor Wilhelm I and in the middle a monument was erected -- Zweikaiserdenkmal (Two Emperors Monument) -- for Wilhelm I and Friedrich III.

When I World War ended, the province was still disputed between Germany, Poland and Czechoslovakia. After three Polish uprisings, some civil war and plebiscite... all got some; the city became capital of Polish part of the province. In the meantime, some time between the second and third uprising, the monument was blown up by insurgents.
Soon, there was a new one -- the monument-grave of an unknown insurgent. Square became Freedom Square for the first time.

In 1939 Germans came back, this time with Hitler; the monument of insurgent was demolished soon and the whole province was incorporated into Nazi Germany. The square became Wilhelmsplatz again.

In 1945, after Red Army throw the Germans out and the city with most, but not whole province became Polish again, a new monument was built (on Freedom Square), as a thanks to Red Army soldiers. In '50s whole city was shortly renamed to Stalinogród (~Stalin's Borough) and another monument was erected (still for Red Army soldiers, though).

After 1989 more and more objections were held against the Red Army conduct back in '45 and eventually in 2014 the monument was moved to a Soviet war cementery nearby.

What you see in the picture is the empty pedestal left from the last monument. No proposition for any new "tenant" got much traction so far.

I like it this way; I see no point in erecting another monument that will inevitably mean "pride" to some but "oppression" to others. As is, it means to me the most basic freedom one can get from the powers - "just let us be".

Made with N9, slightly cropped.

Last edited by briest; 2016-07-29 at 13:31. Reason: corrected one "false friend"

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post: