View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Sulu,
the problem is that lies are accepted as the truth by general public when nobody stands up and fights them. I generally agree that I should refrain from moderating stuff that I'm personally involved in, which I did for the whole tsunami of incorrect and blatantly construed accusations and barely hidden insult Estel threw at me and others involved in Neo900 project during last few days. I tried to explain to Estel when he's wrong (and I caused some damage with that already) and I asked for help from peer moderators instead of giving infractions (via usual "report inappropriate post" button) when I felt that my public arguments with Estel would do too much damage to the community. The result been infraction points the admin assigned to Estel, it seems. The above recurrence though is just not possible to get verified/falsified by anybody publicly, Estel already received a warning (no infraction points involved) to not do that anymore and it's pretty obvious and not exactly a matter of insulting me personally so I would feel biased. So I gave an infraction with the most appropriate reason from the multiple-choice for infractions, that this forum offers for that purpose. And I suggested to Estel to approach tmo admin about it when he feels it's unfair or incorrect activity of me. I also added an according internal note to the infraction suggesting that this my activity is subject to re-evaluation by peer moderators and admin. The infraction added a 20 points to Estel's account which results in a temporary ban since there already been other non-expired infraction points on his account.
I agree that this whole issue does a lot of damage to the project and to the community, but I think that just ignoring Estel's misbehavior would do even more damage. From my side this is far from being a personal thing, I'm meanwhile used to that and immune against that from Estel's side. But I can't ignore the damage done by Estel irrespectively of somebody acting or not acting on that damage. That damage done to tmo community and Neo900 project, my personal feelings are irrelevant here.
I understand that when you see two guys fighting in the street you can't judge who started the fight or who's to blame, but I'm not a friend of punishing both due to the bystander's inability to judge.
Technical competence not needed in this issue, it's about common sense and forum rules. Thanks nevertheless for the offer to moderate.

BR
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-20 at 11:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: