View Single Post
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I will try it of course, but what a really strange command line !

Are those separators really exclamation marks ? :-)
Yes They separate the elements in a gstreamer pipeline. Looks strange, you're right.

I also have my doubts about the "audioconvert ! audioresample" parts on there, are they really necessary ?
I don't like the idea of the signal being reprocessed (what for ?), and it could possibly be the cause for the stuttering...
I just copied this from the gstreamer documentation, guess it's necessary if sample format and sample rate of source and sink do not match. But I tried without those two, works also well.

Some additonal observations:
  • Putting the device to offline mode helps
  • One should plug in the headphones, because else a highpass filter is applied to protect the speakers, which degrades sound quality and steals some cpu time
  • Lock the screen
  • it may help (not tested) to give some gstreamer processes higher priority

The first two points reduced the stuttering quite a lot, so probably on an overclocked n900 it will be perfectly fine. But any activity (task switching, using of player interface) leads to drop-outs (at least here). So increasing task priority or some audio buffer size(? but how) could help. Oh, and you'll need to install the gstreamer0.10-alsa package if you didn't already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post: