View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
just a note from "the engineering department": Not every USB receptacle coming off is automatically a case for warranty. You can make the USB come off on virtually any arbitrary device, as well as e.g. break the LCD glass. For the glass it was a warranty case only if there's no obvious external force being applied. For the USB I'd guess it's a warranty case when the USB was poorly soldered which means the pads don't come off from PCB. If you applied so much bending force to the plug that the perfectly soldered USB receptacle rips off the copper pads from the PCB then very usually I'd refuse to accept this for a warranty case (unless PCB was notorious to have defective glue used to laminate the layers, which I never actually heard of for any device).
Nokia accepted USB warranty replacement on the rationale there were quite a number of poorly soldered devices where USB came off easily, brute force never is covered by any warranty though - usually (except for leatherman afaik).

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N