View Single Post
Hey firstly thanks for updated kernel-power to v50.
Secondly, I'm still haven't been convinced to overclock, and I didn't measure batterry use objectively, but my subjective opinion is that kp50 is a notch better at batterry usage than previous version.
Thirdly I installed a bunch of apps but I believe none of them were realted to video codecs.

Then a real point: on kp50 it seems the video is EXTREMELY LAGGED on SOME codecs/backends. On others it's PERFECTLY OKAY. So I smell a bug in some driver included with kp50. I didn't have this problem prior to installing kp50. extremely lagged means: video goes 3-4 times slower than sound track (which on my player resulted in 1:20 minutes of 0:40 and sound stop properly). perfectly okay means: there wasn't even a 100 milisecond lag while playing the video, I can't seem to differentiate the video of man playing the instrument and the sound itself. before somebody call me a noob I'll say the same test with same videos was done before. If pali or any of bosses may want making me sorry I accent "I smell the bug in kernel driver" but "I may smell in wrong direction" (which may mean changes in kernel uncovered old bug in player/backend/codec which was supposed to never happen basing on assumptions how hardware and system works, but assumptions become false).

Thinking about my experience, there's no dissonance between people saying "It's lagging video a hell I'll go back to KP49" and people saying "Here IT WORKS perfectly", and it isn't matter of being lover/hater noob/pro fail_of_user/fail_of_package_maintainer, It's just a matter people test in different enviroment while claiming it's the same. Problem doesn't seem the software would be unavailble to work properly (since in some cases it work perfectly) but rather seem a trivial bug on time calculation which makes video on some technical cases (codecs/backends) run constant times slower just because of miscalculation. To be sure I'll test it again on BFS kernel (which is based on KP49) since I have pretty multiboot configuration. I'll back soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post: