View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by karimko View Post
kinipyon,

Great news! Could you tell us how to get this working on the n900, perhaps a small step by step? I have had trouble with dependencies and packages, and would like to experiment too

Any help would surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
http://code.google.com/p/voximp/
Download voximp.tar.gz to anywhere (MyDocs included). Unpack it (I did it in Filebox).

Install through apt-get

gstreamer0.10-pocketsphinx
pocketsphinx-hmm-en-hub4wsj
python-pocketsphinx

(I suppose it's bare minimum)

In voximp.py change alsasrc to pulsesrc

Run in X Terminal
python /path/to/voximp.py

It will ask you to copy/move three files (included in voximp.tar.gz you unpacked earlier; something like 9****.dic) to /home/user/.config/voximp/

When most problems are solved, running in X Terminal
python /path/to/voximp.py
will give you
letter X
command X
/bin/sh: xdotool not found

It means that it listens and recognises, but lacks the way to give it to operating system as pressed key of the keyboard.

I have taken xdotool of Debian for armel processor.
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/xdotool
Here it is (just the binary):
http://sharesend.com/info/uqr8g
Works-for-me.
Of course, you could compile it from source and publish to Maemo Extras; you are welcome! I'm lazy.

Now, running in X Terminal

python /path/to/voximp.py &

Will give you, besides long output in X Terminal,
ability to prints letters, and execute commands (cut, copy and paste, I don't know what else) in any program

Warning: ' &' at the end of line means that voximp will work when you close the X Terminal

When you try to use X Terminal (kill voximp, for instance) later (with voximp running), you will get spaces and random letters (depends on level of noise around you, actually).

Good luck! I'm going to test voximp later. It works but it's kind of unusual.

EDIT:
I still cannot open Fennec by voice command.
The problem is, it can recognise Fennec as partial (if it's pronounced aloud by espeak), but after several partials, the final command ISN'T Fennec. It can be T or some other letter.

I don't have ideal testing conditions, though. I have loud computer keyboard, sand in N900 speakers, and dust in N900 microphone.
So it's not surprising that sphinx rarely gives correct recognition.

The problem is, how do partials work and why the 'Fennec' partial was swallowed instead of being used as final command?

EDIT: I have read the .dic file. The pronunciation (mine or dic's) is awful. But at least sometimes it recognises (final) when I say Fennec. And I stopped outputting partial. And:
If you want to use voximp to enter text, you need to find somewhere full corpus of your language unless you are going to spell it letter-by-letter.

And with Fennec, I don't know what command could open a new tab in existing window.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2011-01-17 at 03:57.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: