View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Open operating systems don't need to be jailbroken because they aren't closed. The user is in control of the OS. I don't think any OS that needs to be jailbroken for the user to have access to everything can be considered a real OS.
That answers absolutely nothing.

Again I ask... who needs to jailbreak BB10 and to do what? Control of the OS is too damn vague. Specifics please.

And this whole "not a real OS" - how does it feel to see a real OS not really mean much? Maemo, dead. MeeGo, dead. Sailfish, not a big time player by any stretch of the imagination. Ubuntu Touch, not really a big player either. FirefoxOS, dead.

And I don't want to get into the argument that embedded Linux is a "real OS" either. I'm talking about on a handset, much like the QNX powered BB10 or the Mer powered Sailfish as this thread has talked about until now.

This whole "it's not real" based on some vague ****ing rhetoric is a waste of everybody's time because if a real OS happens to come out, the support is so piss poor that all it really seems to be is an exercise of doing something just because it can be done.

So far, in 20 years of owning a handset, I've yet to see how this amounts up to much in that sector. On my router, hell yes it's important. On my desktop and servers, it's important. On my handset; it's not meant much of anything yet. All of my faves have died or will have died by the time I get my hands on it.

You do not have to jailbreak BB10 to use it. Not in the least. It's a real OS because last I checked, it runs and does things that people want it to do; well, not you apparently. I don't need chmod, ssh and have the ability to rebuild the kernel for BB10. And if I did have access to that, it doesn't make it any more "real". It just makes it into something that you want... and that mentality is a minority. See above why... none of those "real OS" products have ever lived on yet.

Like I said before... different needs are met by different mobile operating systems. I don't require granular control whereas you do. Do not impress upon me your needs for that; I'm not doing that to you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: