View Single Post
Hello people in maemo land,

My story(I'll keep it short):
I had an n900, loved it, but thought it was a little over kill for what i wanted to do. Already have a (kind of) smart phone (Nokia 5800) which does basically everything phone wise I would want. Sooo, I decided I wanted to have another Maemo device to play around with and grabbed a 770 off ebay a week or two ago.
Well first obstacle I encountered was the WLAN connections never showing up(well usually never, probably once out of 20 searches). I did some researching and found out the whole Wireless N conflict thing, which basically makes my 770 useless for all the places I would use WiFi. Kinda crappy but not a huge deal I guess.
Second obstacle: the 770 started rebooting itself as soon as It got into the O/S. I flashed every O/S from 2005 to 2008HE numerous times with no success. Did a little investigating on that and found out how to set the device in R/D mode, and that it was (possibly?) something to do with Wifi bug corrupting memory or something. Stopped the constant reboots.
Third major, and so far most perplexing and annoying obstacle: Blue tooth tethering my 770 to my Nokia 5800 on AT&T. Why, oh why can't I seem to figure out why this isn't working correctly? I've managed to have it connect to my phone 3 or 4 tries out of roughly 50. I've tried a bunch of different settings, I tried using dial-up number *99#, then *99***1#, different access point names, user names, passwords, but only 3 times out of 50. I've tried it on every O/S from 2005 - 2008he. I got it to work briefly on the latest edition of 2007HE.
Is there a trick to this that I'm not getting? I googled and searched in the forums here, so If i happened to overlook something blatantly obvious please forgive me. I really don't want to put this thing back on ebay, because I love the idea of it. The speed doesn't bother me, the lack of updates doesn't bother me, but the not being able to connect online, AT ALL, does. I really only want to get online so I can get software installed to get the device running. I have no MMC cards so I'm going to be modding in an SD card soldered to the MMC connections. Of course, I can't get that up and running with out Fanoush's High speed sdhc kernel(which I have to download directly to the device from an online source!). Sorry for rambling on, but I'm running out of patience here! Any advice? Suggestions? Thanks in advance everybody!