View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
See below an exchange in Telegram that I put below that provides some insight from Andrew, working for Jolla.
I am pretty sure he cannot say this is the official view but it helps understanding the official position:
Why would you give the name away, then? :P

But, if Sailfish ships with GPLv3 packages in the image, then it would be impossible for any customer to disable developer mode in their image. Many business and corporate customers would want to do this.
Even if you were to do an interpretation of the license like the above, all you'd have to do as the "corporate customer" is to claim that you are not giving away possession of the device, just usage.

This reminds me of all the scaremongering about GPLv2 at companies, where there were worries that _employees_ could sue the company when they were given copies of internal closed-source software linked with GPLv2 code. This also directly contradicts the FAQ (and 2).

Not to mention that I find the entire "company device" excuse paper-thin. The entire reason for this is likely to prevent "unauthorized" or "unauthorizedly modified" devices from joining the company network. Well, you can just write on a paper that only "authorized" devices with "authorized software" are permitted to join the network; likely your company already has this. Even if the GPLv3 were to turn out to allow the employees to modify the software on phones they don't own (something I still don't see), it for sure does not force you to accept these modified devices from joining your corporate network (or accessing its services), at the risk of unlawful intrusion. The phones will still work with all their functionality intact, but the remote service won't answer. Obviously nothing prevents the phone from lying and claiming to be "authorized software" at this point, but nothing prevented it before either...

I'd have a bigger problem with excuses such as in IVI/cars where there may be actual legal impediments (at least in some countries) to the manufacturer actually giving you, the rightful owner of the car, control over the device software. But this is not Jolla's situation, last that I knew...

Last edited by javispedro; 2021-03-29 at 14:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: