View Single Post
The video may highlight one argument against raised bezels, but it's an argument easily taken care of with the periodic washings I find necessary anyway to keep fingerprints reasonably under control.
My argument in favor of raised bezels is an HP49 with a broken display. It got the broken display while in its semirigid leather & fiberboard case. This should not happen, and never happened to my HP48 in its soft case.
The reason? Someone at HP though their calculators would look better with a clear window flush-mounted over the display of the original HP49. The airgap they left in the original caused internal reflections, which many users hated. So, for the redesign, they did not go back to the old style with a raised bezel; they placed the screen at the front of the device, directly under a thin window. The screen is now crunchable, and, by Murphy's law, eventually will get crunched.
I love the N800's (and N810's) raised bezel. It's deep enough to provide protection against crushing by flat surfaces. Nothing will stop all possible damage, but a whole lot of possibilities are prevented with a moderate bezel.
Maybe I'm just too rough on my gadgets, but I say...
Bezels FTW!

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: