View Single Post
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
AND it will have a decent development platorm.
Like what? Decent is relevent only to preference. Do you mean tools? (if so, there are lots...)

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
2) Almost complete lack of top-of-the-line development environments and platform.
Most people who develop for Linux still argue about whether to use C or C++ (or some weird interpreted scripting language), while development is WAY easier on Windows.

2/a) While actually, anyone can create a stunning UI for WPF in no time, Linux developers usually assemble their UI with tools similar to (but less functional than) VB6's form editor from 10 years ago. Or WORSE, they create the UI from code.
(Although Qt's QML looks very promising.)

2/b) Most people consider Java and .NET properitary crap not worth caring about, any of the two offers faster, easier and friendlier development experience than native code.
Not to mention that I can run the same code (without recompiling) on any architecture, with the promise of being optimized for that, too.
[I](Fortunately, Mono is going to change that one day.)
Yerh, just like when it creeped into debian a while back;changed the world then....

People who program for operating systems including Microsoft use c and c++. Its the right speed for the job. And at OS level you see no .net crap. Thats ms not eating thier own dog food.

However Java has other merits and shouldn't be tared with the same brush, they are both languages normally used for business apps.

What would you consider top of the line development environments? Mine is vim, web browser, compiler and a build tool:make or ant.