View Single Post
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You don't really want me to take that bet now do you?

Jolla may be thinking along the lines as you in this one case; those are excellent examples of what I'd say people around here would call proper extensibility of the platform as a whole - however it would also mean that developers have already figured out a new, disruptive way to extend the Sailfish/MeeGo platform that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Linux stack for the most part.

Linux is a workhorse. People want it on their servers, desktops and now phones for a reason. But to have it extend to the realm of consumer consumption where it (Jolla or otherwise) intercepts our daily operations is what's missing. Either it's Raspberry Pi (regarded as a great "toy" or tinker item") or it's a web server - which can't play the latest games (Steam withstanding).

I like your vision. Let's hope that Jolla and the devs share it. That would make me jump to Jolla immediately.
Yes. Take that bet.
That would make lots of folks want to jump to Jolla immediately. That would scare the mess out of folks that haven't figured out that open source can also mean 3D printing circuits into accessories that can and will change a phone to something that works more like a device designed in the 2010s, not 1980s?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post: