View Single Post
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
Before the update i could listen to my music over wired headphones and could use my jabra bt3030 to switch tracks.
I don't this was every an expected combination. I think they've probably got it right *for most people*, as I would certainly want this behaviour. Let me sketch the scene:
  1. Sitting at my desk at work, listening to Spotify streaming over 3G. I'm wearing a set of cabled Sennheiser headphones plugged into the N900 that are obviously music headphones, not a VOIP/mobile setup. This makes it obvious to my colleagues that I am listening to music, and not listening to a conference call.
  2. I also have my Bluetooth headset (Nokia BH-214) paired and active with the N900. It's laying on my desk, blue LED bliniking periodically.
  3. A personal phone call comes in, one that I don't care to discuss next to my immediate colleagues.
  4. I pull off the headphones, pop one earphone of the bluetooth headset into place, and then tap the "Answer call" button. Presto, I am now on bluetooth.
  5. I can now either wander around the floor at work using the bluetooth's 10 meter range so that my colleagues only hear parts of the conversation. Or I can unplug the headphones, stick the phone in my pocket, and walk to the nearest conference room.

So I really do think they've chose the right solution *for the general case*. I am afraid I can't think of a trick to get it working the way you want, but perhaps by monitoring DBUS messages and taking a look at the source code for headphoned you might be able to come up with a solution.

There might be a lower effort solution, at a non-zero cost. I suspect the reason you don't like the sound of your Jabra bluetooth is that it is using "headset" prototocol, rather than the higher fidelity A2DP. I am quite happy listening to music on the BH-214 I mentioned above, and the BH-103 is praised by a friend and is a low cost way to test A2DP.

P.S. Thanks much for mentioning this specific behaviour. I'll find it useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post: