View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
In my opinion there hardly is any crap in FOSS utilities, instead there is elegance, scalability, stablilty and rock-solid design principles.
(the old *nix adage, do one thing and do it well; to achieve complex results chain simple tools together...)

Even the more complex tools like compilers and runtime environments are also very rigorously tested and debugged, I would hardly call that "crap" !
You have just listed the small minority of FOSS products that are good. I myself have mentioned another one - Avidemux - even though it tends to have stability issues.

You have conveniently forgotten to list the FOSS equivalents of fart apps, never ending forks of forks or various hello world applications. The fact that you and I do not use them does not make them not exist and form the 95% or more of the FOSS offerings.

An important note:
No disrespect was intended to authors of any of my listed examples. Not all of them deserve the derogatory word that I used. I even use one of them, I am not going to tell you which one. But they are all a good illustration of why FOSS does not have a good reputation. None of them are actually the masterpieces of creation that some die-hard FOSS advocates seem to believe that FOSS is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: