View Single Post
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Helsinki
Hi. I started looking at geocaching. There are three Qt based options so far I'm aware of:

- AGTL
- CacheMe
- The canceled CacheMe QML port

Of these the last one would be obviously the best if it wasn't canceled months ago. The author is German and understandably annoyed at Nokia's decisions not to sell it there... I tried to argue though in an e-mail that Qt 4.7 w/ QML is now available for Symbian^3, Maemo5 and Harmattan, which are, with the exception of Harmattan the same platforms he aims to support still (and Qt 4.7 is also available for S60 5th edition). But apparently the normal Qt CacheMe already has significant development past the canceled QML port.

Anyway, I have compiled all of the three to Harmattan, and each one of them "kind of" works. They are available at my harmattan repo

Code:
deb http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/tjyrinki/harmattan/ ./
The cacheme author luckily just released the source code of the abandoned QML port. I renamed and compiled it with the name "katkemut" so as not to be confused with the official CacheMe. It works nicely, but apparently doesn't have eg. the actual cache information showing feature. Also, somehow the QML version .deb from the author's page had the location button enabled while it doesn't seem to work in this version I compiled from sources. Possibly some dependency or something missing when building.

I had to port to AGTL from PyQt to PySide (I've never used either but there was pretty straight-forward guide). Unfortunately some drawing problems seem to have raisen.

Both AGTL and the normal CacheMe are non-themed, look ugly and are kind of like running on desktop pc. However, since CacheMe didn't need any other work besides packaging so I didn't have a chance to break it like AGTL, CacheMe does work to the extent of map browsing and showing both the caches and cache information - only the first two possible with the nicer looking KatkeMut.

One hint for me as a pretty uninformed person was the "MApplication" class instead of QApplication, but I guess a lot more would be needed to get sane looking non-QML Qt application on Harmattan? Or maybe not. That also decides if it's more meaningful to try to port AGTL/CacheMe to Harmattan or try to improve KatkeMut to be at least semi-usable. If anyone actually takes the code to the latter and does something about it, I can put it to git somewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimoJyrinki For This Useful Post: